A Pretty Mess

style and entertainment with a fashionable twist!

Monday, November 16, 2009

10 Winter Trends You Can't Avoid [And Won't Want To]

Ok so it's basically Winter, or at least the weather's trying to make up it's mind if it is or not, and I'm starting to see some of the most anticipated Winter trends coming out of the wood work. I compiled a top 10 list of trends you will see and probably not be able to avoid for the notorious cold season and where better to look for guidance than some of the top trendsetters themselves? Everyone loves celebrities or loves to hate them, take your pick, but either way you will take notice.


1. Fur vests!



I love this look! I think it adds that bohemian edge that I love oh-so-much! Of course I will definitely rock the faux version of this trend not only because a real piece would cost more than my rent + utilities a month but also because it is animal friendly! Pair this look with some skinny jeans, leggings or a dress with some tights and you're ready to roll out in style!


2. Lace Tights



This look is also one of my faves! I remember the days when I was a little girl and my mom would buy me lace tights, even though I despised all tights during that time. But now I love them and they love me! Ha! This is a nice twist to the average pair of tights you might have stashed in your drawer and can turn a simple outfit like the all black one Miss Swift is wearing into an eye popping look.


3. Thigh High Boots!!!



Now I love this look for so many reasons but 2 of those reasons are very important me: they're cute [duh!] and I'm knock kneed [don't laugh!] so they hide my knees kissing each other on the daily. But I digress...this look is great again for jeans, leggings or dresses considering they cover most of the leg. No to mention they make your legs appear longer for those stubbies out there. They are just a very sessi look, don't you think?!

4. Leather Jackets



Another look I hold dear to my heart is a sharp motorcycle jacket. I mentioned this look in a previous blog post and it looks like this style isn't going away very fast. And I'm glad! I'm a simple girl so personally I'm not a big fan of all zippers and pockets all over my jacket. A couple here or there will do just fine and then STOP! The leather jacket is that one bold piece you only need to add that hard edge to any subtle ensemble. You can pair it with a cutesy top like Vanessa Hudgens did or a simple tee with a scarf and go.


5. Bold Shoulders



Ever since I took notice to Balmain, I have fallen in love with this new look. I think this is one of those trends that either you hate or love, there's no in between. I think this trend makes a very strong statement and is a more modern and appealing version of those damned shoulder pads from the 80s'. I know you remember those. With these shoulders you don't have to do too much accessorizing considering your shoulders will be the main attraction.


6. Head Accessories




You remember how your mom is always telling you to "cover up your head or you'll catch a head cold"! in the dead middle of Winter? I hated that at one time mostly because I found hats so uncomfortable and could never find one that looked good on me. Well the beanie hat is my new best friend. I love that you can fix it to create different versions of the look daily. Beanie hats, military inspired hats, creative headbands, and hair bows are really going to be running things this season, I can see it already!

7. Printed Scarves



This is a look that's still got juice! We saw this last Winter and I'm glad it's still got longevity for this Winter. Scarves are those really easy style toppers for any outfit and appropriate for any occassion. Bold colors and prints makes this accessory such a hit and fit to anyone's personal style.


8. Cardigans



This is a look I love on women and men. I rarely post any men's style on here [which will change!] and this is a trend I love on me and a guy. I just think when I see a guy wearing a cardigan it says a lot about his style and character. Of course it also depends on how he wears it. If his pants aren't sagging below his butt with this then that just might be enough of a winner for me these days. Ha! This is another one of those versatile style pieces to make the outfit.


9. Sneakers!!!



I love sneakers even tho I haven't owned a really good pair in a looonnng time [which again, will change!]. I love to see a female wear them right with a pair of skinnies or a pair of boyfriend jeans. I'm not sure if I would rock a bright pair like the ones Amber Rose is rockin above but they look good on her! I know here on the East Coast that whole 80s' hip hop look is making a strong come back and while I don't agree with every trend from that genre [I would like to retire and bury most of those 80s' trends thank you] but high top sneakers are definitely a fave of mine!


10. Latex Leggings



Again, another trend that seems to be sticking for this new wintery season and I'm not complaining. I absolutely love this trend for the fact that they'll keep your legs warm compared to a lot of other thin leggings out there and they really make your legs look pretty damn good. They're also a cool substitute for actual leather pants which for most...I just don't agree with.


So there you have it, some of this Winter's top trends for you to look out for. Now the question is....which ones will you try? Indulge while the season lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment