A Pretty Mess

style and entertainment with a fashionable twist!

Friday, December 4, 2009

A Slim Review

Well the 2 most highly anticipated and most talked about albums [for me] have been released finally and after giving each of them a good listen I've finally come to form my opinion.

First one up is the monster herself, GaGa!



As you all know I am a huge GaGa fan, but I try not to let that get in the way of forming an objective opinion about her new album the Fame Monster, or with any artist for that matter.

So the verdict is....I love it! I'll admit, I'm one of those people who skims through an album looking for those hot dance tracks with great production work and skip through ballads on the first listen. And GaGa didn't dissappoint as she has plenty of party tracks on her deluxe version of the Fame, but also that great and destructive ballad/ personal favorite of mine "Speechless" which a lot of girls can relate to oh so well. Her unapologetic daringness to be different but at the same time have the ability to relate to her fans is what makes her a true artist. I love the Fame album and even though The Fame Monster only has an appetizer of 8 tracks [sadface] it only makes me anticipate a full new album of songs from the new reigning Queen of Pop. This album really has shown her growth as an artist and writer. Her songs are so relateable with lyrics ranging with everything from a habit for a "Bad Romance", to trying to party the night away but someone wants to blow up your phone all night ["Telephone" feat. Beyonce], and monsters in disguise who eat your heart like in the song "Monster", you can't help but to feel the message of living life to it's fullest no matter what and knowing that it's ok to be different. But in the end of the day she reminds us that she is just like us.


And now on to Rih Rih...




I like to call this album the "Emancipation of Rih Rih" because she has definitely shed the good girl image and revealed her good girl gone bad...forever persona. This album is definitely not what I expected at all. She is very edgy and aggressive and definitely does not hold back. With lyrics like "Six inch walker, big sh*t talker, I never play the victim, I'd rather be a stalker..." on Rockstar 101 to her honesty about her heartbreak with songs like "Cold Case Love", "Stupid in Love", and "Photographs" [feat. Will.I.Am.] you definitely feel like you're listening in on a therapy sesssion. You really get a sense of her confusion and mixed emotions about her life but also a sense of empowerment. She has songs like "G4L", "Hard", and "Rockstar 101" that exemplify her head strong and new no nonsense [otherwise known as "bitchy"] attitude that a lot of girls either dream of having or can already relate to. With many appearances of electric guitars in her productions to her powerful lyrics Rihanna is making it known that you can not and will not mess with her... in many ways. I really enjoy this album and I'm glad to see her find herself and become a little more edgy than your typical pop princess. She's not only emancipating herself through her music but also through her style. She's setting trends and gradually coming up on icon status.


I can predict that 2010 will THE year for both of these talented artists, and I can't wait to see what else they have to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment